The Berries of Summer
The Stars of Summer A trip to the market has many berries in season at the moment. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are especially good in the summer. Here are three recipes using these ingredients in very different ways...
A trip to the market has many berries in season at the moment. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are especially good in the summer. Here are three recipes using these ingredients in very different ways to create soups and salads and smoothie snacks! Enjoy the berry season with a special thanks to Chef Elizabeth Weaver of Elizabeth’s Edibles, www.myelizabethsedibles.com,for sharing these fresh recipes for the soup and smoothies. Get creative on how you eat your fruits this summer!
Spinach Salad Topped with Strawberries
- 9 ounce bag of baby spinach
- 1 pound strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 8 ounces almonds, sliced and toasted
*** Walnuts or pecans can be substituted. I will often add half a pint of blueberries and maybe even a granny smith apple to this summer salad.***
- Create this salad by assembling all above ingredients in a large bowl.
- Dressing options, Balsamic or Apple Cider Vinegar as the stars for a Viniagrette for this sweeter salad.
Summer Cool Fruit Soup
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mango
- 2 pieces lemon peel
- 2 pieces lime peel
- 2 pieces orange peel
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Saute the ginger in a medium pot over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes (no oil is necessary.)
- Add 2 cups strawberries, 1 cup pineapple, 3/4 cup mango and the lemon, lime and orange peels; cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add water, sugar and fruit juices and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly and then transfer in batches to a blender or food processor.
- Puree and strain into a large bowl.
- Add remaining 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup pineapple, 3/4 cup mango and blueberries. 8.
- Stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Serve with mint sprigs for garnish.
Green Tea, Banana, Blueberry Smoothie
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 green tea bag
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ c frozen blueberries
- ½ medium banana
- ¾ cup vanilla soy milk
- Microwave water on high until steaming hot in a small bowl.
- Add tea bag and allow to brew for 3 minutes.
- Remove tea bag.
- Stir honey into tea until it dissolves.
- Combine berries, banana, and milk in a blender with ice crushing ability.
- Add tea to blender.
- Blend ingredients on ice crush or highest setting until smooth. (Some blenders may require additional water to process the mixture.)
- Pour smoothie into tall glass and serve. This recipe will create one serving.
What are your favorite ways to highlight the summer bounty of Summer Berries?