How To Make Great Taco Beef Without a Seasoning Packet
Beef Tacos There's a reason beef is one of the go-to choices for Mexican food and tacos. The earthy tones of the meat match really well with the strong chili spices. But its surprising how many home cooks only know...
There's a reason beef is one of the go-to choices for Mexican food and tacos. The earthy tones of the meat match really well with the strong chili spices. But its surprising how many home cooks only know how to make taco meat with a pre-made seasoning packet. Most people assume that making the mix from scratch is difficult, because the seasoning packets are marketed as saving time and convenient.
Well, they are convenient, but they are really only saving the time it takes to reach into your spice cabinet and pull out the individual spices. Spices that are usually already in your kitchen, and since you made it yourself, you can control the saltiness and spiciness of your finished dish.
Home Made Taco Beef
- 2 pounds lean ground beef, or chopped up sirloin
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 can fire roasted green chilies
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- Put a large frying pan over medium-high heat, and wait until it is hot. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray, and add your meat. Season with your salt and pepper.
- Allow to brown slightly and add your onions. Once the onions have caramelized, add the water and the rest of the spices, reserving the optional items (cilantro, lime, black beans) if applicable.
- Turn the heat down to medium and allow to simmer for approximate 10 minutes stirring occasionally, until most of the water is evaporated.
- Add any of the desired optional items, and allow them to heat through. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
For more tips on how to create seasonings from scratch, please contact us at cilantro cooks!