Healthy Recipes: Avocado Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes
Avocados are a staple in diets around the world. Whether they are enjoyed simply for their taste or eaten to promote a healthy lifestyle, these unconventional fruits add a unique flavor to a variety of dishes. Known also as...
Avocados are a staple in diets around the world. Whether they are enjoyed simply for their taste or eaten to promote a healthy lifestyle, these unconventional fruits add a unique flavor to a variety of dishes. Known also as the alligator pear, the avocado is a nutritious alternative to a variety of less healthy food choices. To help you understand the benefits behind this deliciously nourishing fruit, we've listed 3 healthy facts below, and provided you with a quick but savory recipe.
- Due to an avocado containing vitamin B6 and folic acid it is believed that the green, fruit lowers the risk of heart disease. The presence of vitamin E, glutathione and monounsaturated fat also helps individuals maintain a healthy heart.
- Most people think about bananas when trying to increase their potassium intake, what they don't know is avocados are actually another great source for the mineral too. One health benefit connected to potassium is controlling an individual's blood pressure.
- As a society, we often overlook the importance of eye health. Luckily, a diet rich with avocado may help protect your eyes against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts due to the fruit being a healthy source of carotenoid luten.
Avocado Pasta with Black Beans and Feta
- adapted from Comfort of Cooking
- 12 oz spaghetti/penne /linguine
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 can of black beans
- Crumbled feta
- In a pot, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it.
- To create the sauce, in your food processor's bowl, combine your seeded, peeled and sliced avocados with your basil, garlic and lemon juice. Also add salt and pepper, to taste. As your food processor works its magic, slowly pour the olive oil into the mixture of ingredients.
- Prepare the black beans by following the instructions on the can's label.
- In a big enough bowl, combine your pasta, avocado sauce, black beans and cherry tomatoes. Once everything is nicely mixed together, top your meal off with a sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese(can be skipped).
Extras: You can add grilled pieces of salmon, chicken or shrimp for extra protein
If you're looking for healthy, quick and easy recipes to try out in your kitchen, browse our Cilantro Foodie blog or contact us today. For a wide choice of cookware, bakeware and kitchenware visit Cilantro Cooks online store.