Delicious Flatbread Pizza Hybrid for Appetizers or Snacks
Everyone loves pizza, and everyone loves flatbread, so it stands to reason that a flatbread pizza hybrid would be twice as delicious. You can prepare the flatbread dough in a bread maker on the dough setting, or use a stand mixer....
Everyone loves pizza, and everyone loves flatbread, so it stands to reason that a flatbread pizza hybrid would be twice as delicious. You can prepare the flatbread dough in a bread maker on the dough setting, or use a stand mixer. You can also use all purpose flour instead of the semolina, but you will lose some of the texture from the finished flat bread.
Flatbread Pizza Recipe
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Semolina Flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated yeast
- 4-5 Sundried Tomatoes chopped
- Black Olives Sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Put all of the ingredients into your bread machine or stand mixer according to manufacturer directions. The dough cycle on most bread machines lasts for approximately an hour and a half.
- Once your dough is almost ready, start preheating the oven to 425 degrees.
- Get out a big baking sheet and cover it with aluminum foil or a non-stick baking mat.
- Spread a thin coat of olive oil over the aluminium foil and sprinkle with the semolina flour. Set aside.
- Next prepare a well floured board, and get out your rolling pin.
- Once the dough is ready, turn it out onto the floured board, and knead it lightly, 4-5 times.
- Next roll it out into a oval approximately 10" by 15" long.
- To remove it from the board, make sure it is not sticky, and fold it in quarters.
- Move it to the center of the baking sheet, an carefully unfold it, and lay it flat.
- Next spread your toppings evenly over the top. You can add whatever topping you want, but be careful to carmalize onions or peppers before putting them on, or your flat bread will come out soggy.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has become browned and bubbly.
There are many ways to use this flatbread in other dishes as well, without the pizza toppings. It's a great side with chickpea stew (see recipe), hummus (make your own with this recipe), salads, dips. Or you could also make a flatbread pizza, using naan, with this recipe.
For more flatbread pizza ideas please contact us here at Cilantro Cooks.